Top 5 Dishes we recommend to try while visiting Albania
Albanian cuisine is influenced by the Mediterranean, Balkan, Italian and Turkish cuisines. It consists of vegetables, spices, meats, fish, dairy products and herbs. Some of the most famous dishes are byrek (a salty pie with filo pastry), tavë kosi (baked lamb with yogurt), fërgesë (a casserole with variations of peppers, tomatoes, meat, and cheese, depending in the region) and baklava, (a sweet pastry with nuts and syrup)
While there are many delicious Albanian dishes to choose from, here are our top five recommendations.
- Fërgesë: A casserole made with peppers, tomatoes, cheese and eggs. It is usually served with bread and can be vegetarian or with meat
- Byrek: A salty pie made with filo pastry and various fillings such as cheese, spinach, meat or potatoes. It can be eaten as a snack, breakfast or main course
- Tavë kosi: A baked dish made with lamb, rice and yogurt. It is seasoned with garlic, oregano and mint and has a creamy texture
- Qifqi: Rice balls mixed with eggs, cheese and herbs. They are fried or baked and served as a starter or side dish. They originate from Gjirokastra
- Jani me fasule: A white bean soup cooked with onion, garlic, paprika and bay leaves. It is often eaten with bread or pickles
We hope this gives you an idea of the dishes that you can try wen visiting Albania.